For many of us, winter means snow, sleet and icy road conditions. It’s a perfect time to stay home and snuggle by the fire. If you must travel out in bad weather, however, be sure you and your car are prepared for a winter emergency.
Get your vehicle tuned up, keep the gas tank full and be sure you have the following in your car.
- Cell phone and charger
- Reflective triangles or flares
- Spare tire, wheel wrench and a jack
- Jumper cables
- Tool kit
- Ice scraper and brush
- Bag of salt, sand or cat litter for traction
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit – be sure to include medications and baby items (formula, diapers, etc.) if needed.
- Exterior windshield cleaner
- Extra clothes – hats, gloves, coats, boots
- Blankets or sleeping bag to keep warm inside the vehicle
- Non-perishable, high-energy foods like energy bars, candy bars, dried fruits and nuts.
Remember, if you are stranded, put on your flashers, call for help and stay in your car until help arrives. If I missed something in the above list, please add it in the comments section. Travel Safe!