What is The Next Big Thing blog hop? Basically, it’s a way for readers to discover new authors. Bookstores are closing and publishers aren’t promoting new authors as much. The Next Big Thing is a way to introduce readers to authors they may not see in their local bookstore.
I’d like to thank fellow author Eyre Price for tagging me to participate. Click the link below to find out about Eyre’s latest book, BLUES HIGHWAY BLUES winner of the Jimi for Best Blues Book of the Year. “Mr. Price has given us a thriller full of blues, rock and roll and music history complete with rapscallions, thugs, and bad people too!” Find out more about Eyre at his website: Eyreprice.net
Please feel free to comment and share your thoughts and questions. Here is my Next Big Thing!
1: What is the working title of your book? SHE CAN TELL
2: Where did the idea come from for the book? I’ve loved horses all my life. I taught riding lessons in college, and even own my own horse for almost 20 years. Setting a book at a horse farm felt natural.
3: What genre does your book come under? SHE CAN TELL doesn’t exactly fit into any one genre. It’s a romantic suspense with thriller and mystery elements.
4: Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition? Mike isn’t a pretty boy, so David Boreanaz (Bones) would play him nicely, and I like Rachel Bilson, ironically, as Rachel, mostly because of her spunk.
5: What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book? A vicious stalker, a cold murder, and a hot cop turn a horse trainer’s homecoming deadly.
6: Is your book self-published, published by an independent publisher, or represented by an agency? SHE CAN TELL is published by Montlake Romance, and I’m repped by Jill Marsal of Marsal Lyon Literary Agency.
7: How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript? SHE CAN TELL book took 9-10 months to write, mainly because my daughter was very ill halfway through my draft and I had to set writing completely aside for 3 months. I guess that makes a net of 6 months actively writing the book. The first draft was actually the only draft. I’m not sure if karma decided to give me a break buy the manuscript needed no real revisions. (That has never happened again, BTW My current work-in-process is a total disaster.)
8: What other books would you compare this story to within your genre? There are numerous terrific romantic suspense authors I would love to be compared to, Allison Brennan, Kendra Elliiot, and Laura Griffin are just a few of my favorites.
9: Who or what inspired you to write this book? I wanted to continue the series that began with SHE CAN RUN. So, I combined my love of horses and murder mysteries into a new story. A few of the characters from SHE CAN RUN have cameo appearances in the SHE CAN TELL.
10: What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest? I’ll let one a recent Amazon reviewer do it for me. “This book has it all, hot cop, steamy romance, suspense. I could not put it down and stayed up until 2 a.m. Enjoy!”
I love enthusiastic readers!
Below you will find authors who will be joining me by blog, next Wednesday. Do be sure to bookmark and add them to your calendars for updates on WIPs and New Releases! Happy Writing and Reading!
- Robin Perini was awarded the Golden Heart by the Romance Writers of America. She is the author of the Montgomery Justice Series and an ever-growing list of Harlequin Intrigues. I’m particularly looking forward to Behind the Lies, releasing in April 2013. RobinPerini.com
- J. T. Geissinger is the fabulous paranormal romance author of the Night Prowler Series. Her latest release, Edge of Oblivion, is “”Exquisite…A sublime example of paranormal romance…full of perfect pacing [with] almost Shakespearian intensity.” —Books, Bones & Buffy. Find out more at jtgeissinger.com.
- L. L. Hammer is the author of fast-paced stories filled with suspense, romance, and gripping action. Her latest release, Outmaneuvered, is available from Secret Cravings Publishing and her debut novel, Blue Horizon will be re-released in April 2013. Get all the details at jl-hammer.com
- National bestselling author Anna DeStefano has garnered numerous awards including twice winning the RT Reviewers’ Choice Award, the Holt Medallion, the Golden Heart, and the Maggie Award for Excellence. Her latest release, Christmas on Mimosa Lane is “A deeply emotional story that furls around your heart like a Christmas ribbon.” —Lori Wilde, New York Times best-selling author. Find out more at annawrites.com,
- Award-winning author Rita Heron writes thrilling romantic suspense. She is the author of more than 50 books. Look for her next release, Dying to Tell, on December 24! I can’t wait to read it. Check out all her amazing titles at ritaherron.com/content/