1. Don’t leave the engine running while you wait for an attendant. Cars get stolen by people waiting to hop in the second you step away. When you get out of your car, turn off the engine, remove the key and hand it to the valet.
2. Be alert for the same ploy when your car is brought around at pickup. Be ready.
3. Use your valet key and remember to lock the glove box. If you don’t have a valet key, make sure to give the attendant the vehicle key only and double check to make sure there aren’t any personal documents in the unlocked glove compartment.
4. Remove all valuables from the vehicle, this includes golf clubs, electronics, expensive sunglasses, and anything else that looks interesting. Thieves will break into a car for anything that looks like it may be of value.
5. Don’t leave personal documents in the vehicle. Today’s criminals are well-versed in identity theft.
6. Never leave an animal in a parked car.
7. Don’t get run over.
Anybody else have other safety tips for valet parking?