What do the people in the following scenarios have in common? A mother exits a store looking at her latest purchase. A sister stands in the parking lot rummaging through her purse in search of her car keys. A friend walks, jogs or runs with headphones. A niece is busy texting her friends.
Each of these people are unaware of their surroundings. To a predator, they might as well have “Easy Target” written on their foreheads.
Criminals fear two things: being caught and being hurt. Which is why they look for an easy target in the first place. Unfortunately, it only takes a predator seconds to zero in on an easy target. Fortunately, you are not an easy target. You are a Hard Target because…
- You are aware of your surroundings.
- You walk with your head up and with a purpose.
- You look confident.
- You pay attention to the people around you.
- You make eye contact letting people know you see them, but you don’t stare so as not to challenge them.
- You wear headphones only while exercising at the gym.
- You have your keys in hand when going to your car.
Feel free to share other ways you can be a Hard Target in the comments section.